FFC - Fenglehorn Fried Chicken Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Fenglehorn FFC Fried Chicken Seasoning
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 chicken , cut into 10 pieces (2 wings, 2 legs, 2 thighs and 2 breasts each cut in half to make 4 breast pieces) OR
- 1 kg Tenderloins/Thigh Fillets/Breast Pieces
- vegetable oil for frying OR canola oil spray for Air Fryer
- In large bowl add the buttermilk and egg together and whisk until combined.
- Add the chicken to the buttermilk mixture for at least 30mins or even refrigerate overnight (if possible).
- Add approx 50g of the spices to the flour in a bowl and mix gently with a fork or whisk.
- Remove chicken from the buttermilk and let any excess drip off.
- Cover the chicken pieces in the flour/.spice mixture on all sides, then gently shake off the excess coating.
- Let it rest on baking paper for 20-30 minutes.
- DEEP FRYING (Definitely a more genuine flavour but far less healthy):
- Add oil to a deep fryer or a large pot that is at least 5 inches high so that the chicken can be fully submerged.
- Heat the oil to 180c (350f) and fry in small batches for 15-18 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oil and add to a drying rack on top of a clean cookie sheet.
- AIR FRYING (Much less oil, less messy and still an awesome result!)
- Lightly spray chicken all over with canola spray
- Place small batches in Air Fryer at 180c (350f) for 12-15 minutes
- Place on cookie/cake rack in moderate oven (150c) while batches are finished
NOTE: If you place the cooked chicken on a paper towel to drain, the bottom of the coating will become soft.